Thursday, June 21, 2012

What do you call homemade takeout? Stay-in?

Tonight we had homemade Chinese takeout.  Kinda.  Years ago my mom used to make Beef and Broccoli, which then turned into me making it.  I had the method down to make the sauce just right.  We had a wok that was electric, since all the cool gadgets were those days.  I have used that recipe time and time again, with chicken and beef and used a skillet to make it since I didn't have a wok.  I do have a wok now though! Thankfully, there is an IKEA nearby.  They have woks for a ridiculous deal around $7.  It sits on the stove like a skillet and works great!

So, tonights dinner was chicken and broccoli, with jasmine rice and egg rolls.  Don't be too impressed, the egg rolls were straight from the grocer's freezer case.

On to the ingredients needed:

1 large chicken breast, cubed
1/2 onion chopped
1 pkg frozen broccoli florets
1 can chicken broth (low sodium)
2 Tbs cornstarch
2 Tbs soy sauce (low sodium)
1-2 Tbs canola or sesame oil

Heat the oil in your wok, or skillet.  Brown the chicken until cooked through, seasoning as you like.  I used garlic powder, cracked pepper and soy sauce.  Add the onion and cook until softened.  Add the broccoli, stirring until it seems it has thawed.  Add the can of chicken broth, bring mixture to a low boil.  Combine the soy sauce, corn starch and some water in a cup until it is the consistency of milk.  Pour this mixture into the wok and let boil.  As it boils, the sauce will thicken, keep stirring.  If you prefer the sauce thicker, just add more cornstarch and water (less water this time!)  I then turned the heat down and let it simmer to ensure the broccoli was heated all the way through.  (It was, I burnt my tongue on dinner.)

I serve this over jasmine rice, but you could easily make some homemade fried rice, or just eat it on its own.

It was pretty yummy, plus it was cheaper than takeout.  It also filled my craving for Chinese food.  (Another plus, the boyfriend approved!)

I have been slacking with my menu planning... I hope to get a menu made this weekend to carry me through the next couple of weeks.  I need to inventory what is in my pantry, so I can use up those items we are trying to get away from.  There isn't much in there that is bad, or "processed", but it may take some creative planning.  Stay tuned to see what concoctions I come up with next.

No comments:

Post a Comment